In 1968, Lyndon B. Johnson was President, the first Big Mac went on sale at McDonalds costing 49 cents, and what was to become Western Dakota Tech was born when the State Office of Vocational Education approved the Black Hills Area Vocational Technical Institute in Rapid City.
Western Dakota Tech is excited to announce it will be celebrating its 50th anniversary throughout 2018. It will be a fun year with several celebration events.
50th Anniversary events will include the following:
- Graduate and Alumni Brunch with a campus tour, sponsored by the Foundation, in May.
City-widePoverty Simulation utilizing all of the college campusin June.
- 50th Anniversary Community Celebration Bash in the summer.
- A Spirit Week on campus in September.
- Anniversary Party in the fall for employees, students and alumni.
- 50th Anniversary-themed float in the Parade of Lights.
- On-campus trivia during the spring and fall semesters.
- Former college Presidents, Leadership, Faculty, Alumni and business partners will be featured in videos and articles.
- Western Dakota Tech social media sites and the website will showcase throwback photos, videos and commercials as well.