Western Dakota Tech Learn. Do. Now.

Visit Us Request Info Chat Online

VA Education Benefits FAQ

If you are a veteran and enrolled either full or part-time, you are eligible to receive educational assistance through the GI Bill®. VA education benefits are in one of these chapters:

  • Chapter 30 – Active duty service person
  • Chapter 31 – Vocational rehabilitation employment
  • Chapter 33 – Post 9/11
  • Chapter 35 – Veteran’s dependent (spouse, surviving spouse, or child)
  • Chapter 1606 – Active selective reservist or National Guardsperson

For a description of each chapter, go to the GI Bill website here.

How do I know if I qualify for benefits and what amount do I qualify for?

Veterans can call the Regional VA office in St. Louis at 1.888.GIBILL1 and speak with an education benefits counselor.

How do I apply for VA education benefits?

Students applying for GI benefits must first be accepted into a degree program at Western Dakota Tech.  Applications can be done online here:

When you are finished with the end of the application, print a copy and return it to a Western Dakota Tech VA School Certifying Official in the Western Dakota Tech Registrar Office.

How do I become eligible for VA education benefits?

You need to apply for benefits through the VA, which determines your eligibility. The Western Dakota Tech VA School Certifying Official has applications for most of the chapters, however the VA prefers you apply using VONAPP (

When can I become certified for VA education benefits?

Once you are accepted and registered for classes at Western Dakota Tech, the VA School Certifying Official will certify you with the VA. If at any time before or during the semester your course load changes, you must notify the Registrar as soon as possible.

How much will I receive if I qualify for benefits?

The monthly benefit, if applicable to your chapter, that is paid to you is based on the type of training, length of service, chapter, and if you receive a ‘kicker’. The benefit payment rates can be found here. The Western Dakota Tech VA School Certifying Official is unable to give payment rates. Contact the regional VA Office at 1.888.GIBILL1 for your payment rate.

Student Responsibilities

  • You must be accepted in a degree program at Western Dakota Tech.
  • The VA does not pay for courses a student withdraws from unless the student has mitigating circumstances. If you withdraw from a course, you must contact the Western Dakota Tech VA School Certifying Official as soon as possible.
  • If you are repeating a course for a better grade (not because you failed the course), that class will not count in your certification for VA benefits. 
  • If you are changing your major/program, you need to inform the VA School Certifying Official. The VA requires that paperwork be completed in order to pay benefits for a different major/program.
  • Western Dakota Tech will not submit an enrollment certification to the VA until notified by the student to do so. Notification by student is done by completing the Veteran Benefit Declaration Form.
  • All students receiving Chapter 30 or 1606 benefits are required to verify their enrollment monthly to receive payments. Verification must be done on the last day of each month enrolled by either the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) application at or by calling 1.877.823.2378 and following the prompts. Payment will not be processed until this verification is completed.
  • The VA takes up to 10-12 weeks to process an enrollment certification. Keep this in mind when applying for benefits. 
  • Register for your courses and notify your Western Dakota Tech VA School Certifying Official so an enrollment certification can be submitted to the regional VA processing center
  • When you receive your COE (Certificate of Eligibility) from the Department of Veteran Affairs, you must bring a copy to your Western Dakota Tech VA School Certifying Official.
  •  If you are a transfer student who has used the GI Bill at your previous school, obtain a “Change of Program or Place of Training” form from the Western Dakota Tech VA School Certifying official.

If you have any questions regarding the VA Benefit application process, contact the Western Dakota Tech VA School Certifying Officials at 605.718.2568.

 *"GI Bill®" is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at 

Join the Conversation

Connect with Western Dakota Tech

Website Powered By PageFramer, Development By Robert Sharp & Associates