Professional Truck Driving Program
Western Dakota Technical College is a registered training provide of Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) for the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). All classes listed below meet ELDT requirements.
Information on the ELDT and applicable regulations can be found here. Per the FMCSA, individuals issued a Commercial Learners Permit (CLP) on or after February 7, 2022 are subject to ELDT regulations. This includes individuals obtaining a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time; upgrading an existing Class B CDL to a Class A CDL; or obtaining a school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement for the first time.
Class A CDL (Professional Truck Driving)
This 5-week course prepares students for driving over-the-road Class A tractor/trailer combination vehicles and consists of theory and behind-the-wheel instruction. Topics covered include, but are not limited to, basic vehicle operation: safe operating procedures; vehicle systems; vehicle inspection; back; and vehicle controls.
Accelerated options are available for individuals with Class A driving experience or those upgrading from a Class B to a Class A. Please call 605-718-2410 or choose "Advanced Class A" on the registration form.
- Class A - August 22
- Class A - October 17
- Class B & Advanced Class A - are scheduled as needed
- Day Classes are held Monday - Friday from 7:30 am - 4:00pm.
- Night/Weekend classes scheduled for June and August - Every Saturday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm and Monday/Wednesday OR Tuesday/Thursday evenings from 4:00 pm - 8:00 pm. Scheduled to last 6-8 weeks.
Class A Cost
Class A: $4,500 - Includes tuition, fees, drug screening, training materials, and the driving test. A student can also expect to incure approximately $150 in other costs: DOT physical, written test (permit), and license. Enrollment is limited in this program and is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Class B Course
This week long* course prepares drivers to safely and effectively operate Class B vehicles and consists of both theory and behind-the-wheel instruction.
*class scheduled for 1 week, more time added, if needed
Please call the Corporate Education Office at 605-718-2410 to inquire about Class B Classes.
Day classes are held Monday - Friday from 7:30 am - 4:00 pm
Class B Cost
Class B: $2,200 - includes tuition, fees, drug screening, training materials, and the driving test. A student can also expect to incur approximately $150 in other costs: DOT physical, written test (permit), and license. Enrollment is limited in this program and is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Current and valid South Dakota driver’s license
- SD Class A CDL Permit - CDL Manual (Sections to study: General Knowledge, Air Brakes, and Combination Vehicle) for Class A Course
- SD Class B CDL Permit - CDL Manual (Sections to study: General Knowledge and Air Brakes) for Class B Course
- Satisfactory driver operating record (no serious traffic violations in the past three years; maximum one speeding ticket in the past year)
- A current DOT physical card from an authorized physician;
- Negative drug testing results from WDT's Drug & Alcohol Test Management Program (upon registration, we will give you a date range to schedule testing)
- $500 non-refundable deposit for Class A, $250 non-refundable deposit for Class B
- Remaining tuition balance and paperwork due prior to
dropdeadline (2 weeks prior to class start date).
For More Information
Corporate Education Center
800 Mickelson Dr., Rapid City, SD 57703.
Western Dakota Technical College does not guarantee job placement of students. However, trucking recruiters are welcome to the school and are encouraged to visit each class. Any information on new listings for truck driver positions is posted in the classroom.
You can also visit CDL Jobs. They are a job board for trucking jobs and play matchmaker between truck drivers looking for jobs, and trucking companies hiring!
The Professional Truck Driving Program is a short-term, non-credit program. Therefore, there is limited financial aid available. Contact the Corporate Education Office at 605-718-2410 to discuss funding options.
In order to receive a Certificate of Completion from Western Dakota Technical College, students must have a passing score on the CDL written and driving exams and a satisfactory attendance record.
CDL Seminar Other Options
Will customize for a company. This seminar prepares drivers to take the SD written exam for Class A &/or B commercial vehicles. Contains a lecture presentation & sample test examples: general knowledge, air brakes, & combination vehicles. Call for information.
Information on Western Dakota Technical College's discrimination and harassment policies can be found here.
Professional licensure and certification requirements often vary from state to state. If you are not planning to locate and work in South Dakota and are considering an academic program that leads to a professional license or certification, it is highly recommended that you first seek guidance from the appropriate licensing agency in the state you plan to work before beginning the academic program. If you need assistance locating a state licensing agency, please contact the Vice President for Teaching and Learning: Tiffany.Howe@wdt.edu or 605.718.2905.
Current as of June 3, 2022:
- The program curriculum meets educational requirements for licensure/certification in the following states: AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY
- The program curriculum does not meet educational requirements for licensure/certification in the following states:
- WDT has not determined whether the program curriculum meets educational requirements for licensure/certification in the following states: American Samoa, DC, Guam, The Republic of the Marshall Islands, The Federated States of Micronesia, The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, The Republic of Palau, The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and The Virgin Islands